Happy Hump Day my fellow veg heads!
Recipe To Try:
It’s been a while since I’ve dilly dallied with jackfruit (check my second blog post for jackfruit tacos made from a huge fresh jackfruit!), so I thought I’d try again with canned jackfruit. Which I’ve never had before. A lot of jackfruit BBQ recipes call for a few different spices, most of which I did not have on hand since I just decluttered my spice rack and threw out the old. So this is literally a 4 ingredient recipe & it turned out really tasty, fortunately. Quick & cheap. What more could you ask for?
Ingredients are whatever canned jackfruit you want. I chose Native Forest which is sold at Sahara Mart in Bloomington.
Then I chose my current favorite BBQ sauce. Which is hak’s brown sugar and roasted garlic. Yumm!!
Take out a skillet. Heat to medium. Throw in a tbsp of olive oil, 1/2 cup water, your can of jackfruit, and a cup of BBQ sauce.
Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and let sit for 15 mins. After 15 minutes, some back and stir. Add more water if needed. Recover and let cook another 15 mins.
It looks a little crazy. But I promise this is so worth it. Use a potato masher to shred it up. Its practically falls apart! Add more BBQ if you want. Until it looks like this:
Then serve on a bun, bread, salad. Whatever you can dream of. I kept it simple. April even liked how sweet it smells 😉
This week’s shout out goes to my friend Archana Yadav. We connected on Linked In and she shared some of her beautiful vegan activism images with me. If you’re interested in her compassion focused art visit her on Linked In!
· HOW TO HANDLE AWKWARD CONFRONTATIONS AFTER GOING VEGAN (link)
· THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO VEGANS AND RELIGION (link)
· Seafood Without the Suffering: Try These Great Vegan Products (PETA Blog)
· The 7 Vegan Recipes Every ‘Seafood’ Lover Needs (PETA Blog)
· 9 BEST NATURAL VEGAN COUGH AND COLD REMEDIES THAT ACTUALLY WORK (link)
· 7 SURPRISING WAYS COOKING CAN BOOST YOUR MENTAL HEALTH (link)
· HOW TO MAKE VEGAN CHOICES IN INTERIOR DESIGN (link)
· 9 FAUX FUR RUGS, THROWS, AND BLANKETS YOU NEED RIGHT NOW (link)
Also.. my friends at Vegan Outreach just sent an email out about Panda Express offering vegan options by the end of this month. They’ll be vegan-izing their Eggplant Tofu and Chow Mein thanks to their campaign which raised over 5,000 signatures!
We are making so many moves for animals, the environment, and our health! I’m so proud of each and every one of you!
Peace, love, and jackfruit,
Vegan Sarah Marie