So you want to indulge in a Beyond Burger or Impossible Burger at a restaurant near you but you’re concerned it will be cooked on a surface along with meat.
Cross contamination is definitely an issue when eating out, especially at fast food restaurants. A lot of restaurants will cook Impossible Burgers on the same grill as beef burgers for example. Or subway may use the same gloves to make a steak sandwich as they would to make our veggie sandwich.
We are currently in a time where plant based meats at restaurants is a new thing, so having two separate cooking areas for vegan foods vs animal products is a foreign concept to a lot of business owners. Don’t worry, you have some options.
1. Ask your server how your food is going to be prepared. If they’re going to cook it on a common grill, ask the grill to be cleaned and for your item to be away from the other animal based items. If they don’t like this request, you are free to leave! I am a big proponent of voting with your money. Don’t spend money at an establishment that won’t meet you on your dietary needs.
2. Eat only at vegan establishments. This way you can ensure no animal products will get mixed in with yours, because there are none 🙂 Plus you’re helping vegan businesses thrive this way.
3. Cook at home, where you are in control. Not only will you not have to worry about your food getting cross contaminated, but you will have full control over flavor and price of your meal. Customize it to your hearts delight.
4. Enter stealth mode. Let the establishment know you have a food allergy. Thanks to alpha-gal syndrome I literally do have an allergy to red meat but it’s okay for you to use this reasoning as well! We live in the food allergy era folks. Now more than ever we are becoming more and more sensitive to a plethora or allergens. A good reputable business will have no issues taking extra measures to ensure they don’t interact your food with other food that will upset your “allergies.”
The best thing we can do is educate educate educate! Activists are actively working on getting separate cooking areas in fast food restaurants, but I believe it will take some time to see the change made. So join the good fight and write to your local restaurants to open their minds to the need for separate grills or extra precautions for those who choose not to eat animal products.
Can you tell I like burgers? Haha!
To everyone who is doing their part getting the word out about Fair Oaks Farms here in Indiana, thank you!! We are enlightening people day by day. Every single person that adopts a vegan lifestyle is saving countless animals!! Stay strong V-Gang!
Veganism/Animal Rights in the News:
- The red meat or white meat debate is a draw: Eating white meat, such as poultry, will have an identical effect on your cholesterol level as eating red beef, new research indicates. (link)
- NEVADA OFFICIALLY BANS ANIMAL TESTING FOR COSMETICS (link)
- Reminder about the Animal Rights National Conference July 25-28 in Washington, DC.(link)
- Safeway/Albertsons will “have a section solely dedicated to [vegan meats] inside the meat department” by the end of the year. (link)
- These Vegan Chicken Nugget Brands Will Fool Your Meat-Eating Friends (PETA blog)
- Vegan Options You Might Not Know Exist at Whole Foods (PETA blog)
- COSTCO HAS THAT 3LB TUB OF VEGAN COOKIE DOUGH YOU’VE BEEN LOOKING FOR (link)
- Freezer Aisle Finds: The Best Vegan Frozen Foods (PETA blog)
- TRADER JOE’S IS SECRETLY TURNING ITS BAKED GOODS VEGAN (link)
- ’SLUTTY VEGAN’ BACON LAUNCHING IN SUPERMARKETS (link)
- Vegan Ice Cream Brands and Flavors to Try (PETA blog)
- The Best and Worst Frozen Yogurt Chains (PETA blog)
- How to Create an Epic Vegan Charcuterie Board (PETA blog)
- A Buffet of Vegan Options at Sweet Tomatoes and Souplantation (PETA blog)
- PETA and Stephen F’s Vegan Suit Collection Is Ruling Fashion Week (PETA blog)
- Vegan Sandals to Carry you Through Summer (PETA blog)
- Celebrities’ Cruelty-Free Beauty and Vegan Fashion Lines Are Taking Over (PETA blog)
- Ask Popular Pizza Chains to Add Vegan Options! (PETA blog)
- Urge South Carolina Homeowners Association to Nix Beaver Massacre! (link)
Peace, love, and vegan activism,
Vegan Sarah Marie